Monday, March 18, 2024

A Small Midnight Reminder

 

I felt you last night

through the sheets and comforter

And the quilt on top for good measure


You were curled up into yourself

arms tucked behind your knees

to pull your legs ever closer


I was lying on my back

with my head turned to the left

in an effort to keep my earbud in


You sounded like you were dreaming

mumbling something incoherent

But I heard one thing clearly:


“You’re delusional” you said

and what could I say to that?

Nothing, that’s what


And then you went quiet for a while

and you drew your legs even closer

as you started biting through your lip


When you left you kissed me

and I tasted metal for a moment

until you sank back into the mattress


And tears started pooling on my pillow

as I wondered if you’d ever come back

to see me, and if you’d really be there


But I knew you wouldn’t

at least not that night

The batteries had died.

No comments:

Post a Comment