Monday, March 18, 2024

Nous connaissons la chanson

 

I remember when I fell behind

plucked a tiny flame as I dined

and wondered where I found it


It must have been from beneath my chair

as it was hiding its warmth from me there

but calling to me in hushed whispers


We all know the tune, know it by heart

but how it pains me for us to be apart

as the whirlwind rages outside


I held the little flicker by the nape

as it wriggled and tried its best to escape

but its efforts were in vain


I arose from my seat and moved to dispense

in a sense, of the flame in a stick of incense

lowering it to the tip of the object


We all know the tune, know it by heart

but how it pains me for us to be apart

as the waters rise to our doorsteps


It rested a moment on the end of the stick

then, all at once, like some ancient magic

it faded to smoke with a mouth-borne breeze


That tiny flame died that day

with one small breath did it blow away

and all that remains is an overwhelming stench


We all know the tune, know it by heart

and how it pains me for us to be apart

as the twister tears us asunder

No comments:

Post a Comment